How To Get Over End Of Summer Blues
A few days ago my husband looked at me with a gleam in his eye and said, "Do you know what's going to be out soon?... Pumpkin Spice Lattes!" His excitement was more for me than himself as I don't know if he's ever actually tried one. But I get the same burst of excitement as most women do when they think of PSL season. Layers, scarves, PSL, boots... What isn't there to love about Fall?
I'll tell you.. It means that summer is over. How is August already here? Where did this summer go? Why is it that the older we get, the faster time seems to fly? Is it because we don't take the time to just be in the moment? Instead we are constantly thinking of what we have to do next, what work needs to get done, we can't go on that trip because it's not the right time, there's not enough money, etc.
Pump the brakes. It's still August so that means that it's still SUMMER. Here are some ideas to enjoy the last month of summer, so when fall gets here- you are really ready for it!
If you can swing it into your schedule, you should definitely check out one of these events that happen every year in August. If you can't do it this year, SCHEDULE IT FOR NEXT YEAR. That way you'll have something to look forward to.
- Lollapalooza : If you're into music festivals, Lollapalooza should definitely make your list.
- La Tomatina : If you're into throwing tomatoes at people, then you better be at La Tomatina! You bet your ass I will be going to this event in my lifetime!
- Elvis week : Elvis Presley.. need I say more?
- Maine Lobster Festival : I am definitely adding this to the schedule for next year. I love lobster.. I've never been to Maine but I'm assuming I'll love it too! Has anybody ever been to this? Is it as amazing as it sounds?
- Road Trip : This is the one that I think everyone can do. Whether it's just for the day, weekend or a couple of days, a road trip is easy to plan last minute. What are your favorite road trip destinations? We love heading down to Kansas City. There are tons of fun places to stop along the way to break up the trip. We have a road trip planned for next year going up through Yellowstone, over to Seattle/Portland areas, down the coast to San Diego, and back through Vegas.
Summer can be a harsh season.. All of that sun and outdoor work on your skin. Now it's time to try to salvage any damage you may have done over the summer. It's also time to just kick your feet up for a night or two!
- Spa day : I love nothing more than a good spa day. Get a nice massage, facial, mani/pedi... Ok maybe that's a little over the top. But at least treating yourself to a massage or facial after a long hard summer of working your ass off when you'd rather have been laying on the beach somewhere.. I think you deserve it.
- Read a book you've been putting off : I forgot how good it feels to just read a book for no reason at all. I have Audible so I mostly just listen to books now, but here are a couple that I have on my desk to be read this August: How To Murder Your Life, The Brand Gap, and Steal Like An Artist. What are you reading?
- Rent a movie.. or three : Has anybody else felt that this year has not produced very many must-see movies? Really none at all if we're being honest. I love a good movie but it has been hard to find one worth my two hours. I did like the new Pirates of the Caribbean if you're into that kind of thing. But grab some old movies if you're not into anything new. Make sure you have popcorn and plenty of junk food... after all it's almost the end of summer! What's a good movie recommendation?
- Grab your friends for a wine night : Done and Done... I grabbed some girlfriends tonight and we're going out to sushi.. Sake bombs all around!
A lot of people take their big vacations in August. So while they're taking a break, it's your time to really dive in to your business/career or whatever your passion is. Take this time to act while your competition is taking a break.
- Reassess your business : Is your business headed where you want it to be? I remember watching this video of Gary Vaynerchuk last August and just thinking about how I was not where I wanted to be in my career field. Now, this August, I am so much closer to where I want to be. I changed a lot of things this past year.. really the last six months. Now I am on the path towards what I want for my future. Are you?
- Set goals for yourself financially : Every week I write down my debt to make sure that I am paying it off as quickly as I can. (I know this is a little crazy and a tad overboard.. but hey, so am I!) My goal is to be completely debt free by August 2018. And I'm well on my way to achieving that goal! Maybe your goal is to have money saved up for a house, new car, big vacation, etc. Whatever it is, sit down and make sure you're actively working towards that goal! Just saying that you want a new house isn't going to get you a new house. Obvyyy.
- Make sure you're on track with your career path : This ties in with my first point. If you work for somebody else is it making you happy? Do you enjoy what you do? Do you want a different career? Now is the time to really see what you want for your future. Everybody makes New Year's Resolutions... Get a jump start and make yours now. Next month I am going to a Create & Cultivate conference in Seattle to network with others in my field. I feel that these events are important to move forward in my career. What is something that you can do to move forward in yours?
What are you favorite things to do in August? Do you get the end of summer blues?
Hurry up and plan your August adventure.. Summer is almost over!